Nneka macht ihr Ding und wird eines Tages ganz groß, wenn sie das nicht schon längst ist. Nneka schreibt ihre Musik selbst und hat eine unglaubliche Präsenz auf der Bühne.
Am 15. Dezember 2010 wird ein gemeinsames Mixtape von Nneka mit J. Period und vielen Gästen erscheinen. „The Madness (Onye-Ala)“ (Mixtape)“
is a collection of new and remixed tracks from Nneka, the Nigerian born singer/songwriter who is quickly making her stamp on the US.
Der Track Nneka „Changes (J.Period Remix)“ feat. M-1 & General Steele kann bereits heute kostenlos auf J. Periods Site heruntergeladen werden.
From fury to folly, overwhelming enthusiasm to complete rage – madness is a term used to describe an extreme state or extreme journey, which tends to leave the participant altered, sometimes forever. In an era of political corruption, fast paced technology, and what some may argue as a cultural renaissance, madness is sometimes the term that fits best to describe the state we“™re living in today. It is the madness that speaks to our generation, and The Madness (Onye-Ala) that Nneka and J.Period present to the world on December 15, 2009. Utilizing J.Period“™s unique documentary-style approach to the mixtape, The Madness (Onye-Ala) is a collection of new and remixed tracks from Nneka, the Nigerian born singer/songwriter who is quickly making her stamp on the US.
Featuring guest appearances from heavyweights of all kinds, The Madness includes exclusive new tracks from M-1 (Dead Prez), Jay Electronica, Zumbi (Zion I), Rakaa (Dilated Peoples), Aceyalone (Freestyle Fellowship), General Steele (Boot Camp Clik) & Talib Kweli.
„What struck me most about Nneka“™s music is that her story is so present in every song,“ says J.Period, „The spirit and struggle of her roots in Africa, a sense of responsibility inherited from Fela, conflict and perspective gained living abroad in Germany. Her music is a contagious combination of genres and styles that just pulled me in right away. Artists who refuse to be confined to one genre are often considered crazy. Artists who follow their conscience are considered crazy. This is that brand of crazy: The Madness (Onye-Ala).“
A seasoned performer, songwriter and winner of the 2009 MOBO Award, Nneka presents The Madness (Onye-Ala) as an introduction to her first US album, Concrete Jungle in stores February 2, 2010 on Yo Mama/Decon/Epic. The album is collection of tracks detailing her personal experience growing up in Nigeria, the corruption and beauty found there and the universal themes of love, growth, and seeking the ultimate truths. The Madness (Onye-Ala) is a peek into the life and sounds of Nneka, as well as a tribute to the influence Hip Hop has had on her music.
Fresh off a featured role in the blockbuster video game, DJ Hero, J.Period presents The Madness (Onye-Ala) as the next chapter in a long line of game-changing mixtapes presented in his unique, storybook style. The acclaimed DJ, Producer & Mixtape King has redefined the mixtape genre with collaborations with the likes of Mary J. Blige, Kanye West, Lauryn Hill, Q-Tip, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Nas, Big Daddy Kane, and others. J.Perid“™s most recent work, „The Messengers“ (a collection of Fela Kuti, Bob Marley and Bob Dylan remixes featuring K“™NAAN), has yielded over 150,000 downloads since its release in September 2009.
The Madness (Onye-Ala) will be available online at www.jperiod.com/nneka on December 15, 2009.
Nneka will be on tour in the US in February, 2010 in support of The Madness (Onye-Ala) & Concrete Jungle releases.
:: FULL TRACKLISTING ::
1. Can You Hear? (Intro)
2. Let the Madness Begin (J.Period Exclusive)
3. Wake Up World (Interlude)
4. Wake Up Africa (J.Period Remix)
5. The Uncomfortable Truth
6. Untainted Love feat. Damian Marley (Interlude)
7. Spread Love (Brooklyn to Zion) (J.Period Remix)
8. Human Rights (Interlude)
9. Changes (J.Period Remix) feat. M-1 & General Steele
10. Conscious Lyrics (Interlude)
11. Gypsy/Infamous (J.Period Exclusive)
12. Hip Hop Comes From Africa (Interlude)
13. Walking (J.Period Remix) feat. Jay Electronica
14. Home (Interlude)
15. Show Love (J.Period Remix) f. Rakaa (Dilated Peoples) & Aceyalone
16. For the Good of Humanity (Interlude)
17. God of Mercy (J.Period Remix) f. Zumbi (Zion I)
18. Suffri (Nigerian in Berlin Remix) feat. Fela Kuti
19. Perseverance is Character (Interlude)
20. Strength/Kangpe (J.Period Dubplate) f. Big Boi (Outkast)
21. Heartbeat (J.Period Remix) feat. Talib Kweli
22. In the Heart of Man (J.Period Exclusive)
23. Symptoms of My Madness (Outtro)
[ Bonus Mix: J.Period Dubplates ]
24. Mind vs. Heart (J.Period Dubplate) f. 2Pac
25. Changes 2 (J.Period Dubplate) feat. Lauryn Hill & John Forte
26. Walking 2 (J.Period Dubplate) feat. Nas